Products and Availability
• Abbey Beverage Company, LLC is the producer of Monks' Ale®, Monks' DubbelTM, Monks' DubbelTM Reserve, Monks' Tripel®, Monks Tripel® Reserve, and Monks' Wit®. Monks' Ale has been available since December of 2005, and Monks' Wit since October of 2010. Monks' Tripel has been available in limited markets since February 2012. Monks' Tripel Reserve has been available in limited markets and quantities since November 2012. Monks Dubbel Reserve has been available in limited markets and quantities since June 2012.
Monks' Dubbel Reserve and Monks' Tripel Reserve are brewed with native hops (subspecies neomexicanus) grown at the Monastery of Christ in the Desert. Both reserve ales are available on a seasonal basis, in limited quantities, and in limited markets.
In November 2012 we introduced the Monks' Tripel as a year-round offering. In the late spring to early summer of 2013 we plan to introduce Monks' Dubbel as a year-round offering.
Monks Wit Data Sheet PDF File size: 145 kb
• Abbey Beverage Company distributes Monks' Ale and Monks' Wit in Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Louisiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Texas in 12 ounce bottles and as draft in 1/6th and 1/2 barrel kegs. Monks' Tripel and Monks' Tripel Reserve are currently available in Colorado, Delaware, New Jersey, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and Texas in 750 Ml bottles, and also in 1/6th and 1/2 barrel kegs. Expansion plans are underway in the Southwest and for several new states in the Mid-Atlantic region of the East Coast. We plan to continue a slow, controlled expansion of the brands into other target markets.
Production and Capacity
• In 2006, the first year of operation, the brewery produced 127 barrels (approximately 1,750 case equivalents). In 2010, production was 480 barrels (approximately 6,600 case equivalents) and in 2011 production was 930 barrels (approximately 12,590 case equivalents). Production in 2012 was 1,125 barrels (approximately 14,799 case equivalents). Estimated production in 2013 will be about 1,300 to 1,500 barrels. Our current production capacity is 2,900 barrels per year.
Ownership and Control
• The Benedictine monks of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert (a not-for-profit corporation) control 84% of the Abbey Beverage Company (a for-profit LLC) through a separate for-profit corporation, St. Luke's Corporation. This legal structure was established to both assure that all taxes are paid by the brewery, and to preserve the not-for-profit status of the Monastery. The monks of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert thus own and exercise control over all aspects of Abbey Beverage Company.
Brewery Locations and Operation
• Today, our products are brewed on the grounds of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert in Abiquiu, New Mexico and also under special agreement in Moriarty, New Mexico. At both breweries, Abbey Beverage Company directly controls all aspects of the brewing process including the formulations and brewing process details. The monks, through Abbey Beverage Company, are also directly responsible for sourcing all ingredients and packaging materials at both breweries. The brewing equipment on the grounds of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert is entirely owned by Abbey Beverage Company. At the brewery in Moriarty, some of the major brewing equipment, such as the fermenting vessels, bright tanks, and hop storage freezers, as examples, are owned by Abbey Beverage Company. Several monks are directly involved in the daily operations of Abbey Beverage Company and other monks are regularly involved in the brewing and packaging processes at both breweries.
Monastery Brewery Operations
A new brewery building (the Monastery Brewery) was completed at the Monastery of Christ in the Desert in March of 2011. The new brewery building, which currently houses a half-barrel micro-brewing system, was specifically designed for expansion to a 5 or 7 barrel brewing system. Brewing in this new, separate facility began in March 2012. The new facility started as a pilot brewery, and will slowly expand in capacity and operation to develop new styles of beers and produce specialty and seasonal beers. For example, the new Monks' Dubbel Reserve and Monks' Tripel Reserve were developed at the new brewery by our brew master, Brad Kraus, and the monks. Currently the Monastery brewery is in operation on an irregular basis based on the need for brewing, availability of hops grown the Monastery, and other factors. Current plans are to expand the brewing capacity as more monks are trained and more hops from the Monastery's hop yard become available.
Brewery tours and Tasting Room
• The Abbey Beverage Company Brewery and Tasting Room located on the grounds of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert are open only by prior appointment out of respect for the lifestyle of the monks.
Appointments for tours and access to the Abbey Beverage Company Brewery and Tasting Room must be made at least 48 hours prior to the desired visit day by calling 505-990-8581 between 9:30 AM to noon on Tuesdays through Saturdays, or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com, to request an appointment and to receive confirmation of an appointment.
The Brewery and Tasting Room are open by appointment for visits in November thru March at 10:00 AM and 11 AM, Tuesday through Saturdays. Visits in April thru October can be scheduled for 10:00 AM and 11 AM and also at 3:00 PM, Tuesdays through Saturdays.
Monks' Ales are available on-tap and for package sales, as well as several beers on a rotating basis from other New Mexico craft breweries. Monks' Reserve Ales are available on a seasonal basis.
Goals for Operation
• The first goal of Abbey Beverage Company is to support the ongoing operation of the Monastery of Christ in the Desert and fund the charitable activities of the Monastery. Second, we will use the operation of Abbey Beverage Company as a witness to our faith, so that others will know us by our actions. Third, we will operate in accord with The Rule of Saint Benedict in all our business and personal dealings.
• In the spring of 2010, the Monastery of Christ in the Desert planted an experimental hop yard of native New Mexican hops on a quarter acre on the grounds of the Monastery. In 2011, we expanded the hop yard and added several new varieties of native New Mexico hops. The hop yard will again be expanded in the winter of 2013. Harvests occur in late August through early September. Monks, resident guests, day visitors and neighbors participate in the harvest. As the current rhizomes mature in the next several years, the hop yard has the potential to expanding to 5+ acres. In the future, hops from the Monastery will be used to brew new varieties of beer at the brewery located on the grounds of the Monastery, and will be made available for sale to other breweries and home brewers.
Key Staff Members
• Monks directly control and are actively involved in operation of the brewery and the hop yard. Abbey Beverage Company is directly overseen by Brother Christian Leisy, OSB who has been active in daily management and operational tasks since inception of the Company. Brother Christian sits on the Board of Directors as the majority Member. The head brewer is highly experienced professional brewer, Brad Kraus, who is also a partial owner of Abbey Beverage Company and sits on the Board of Directors. Mr. Kraus has been active in Abbey Beverage Company since its inception. The General Manager is an oblate of the Monastery, Berkeley Merchant. Mr. Merchant has been active the management of the operations since July, 2009.
Future Brand Development and Philosophy
• New brands will be developed "with care and prayer" in the coming years. The new styles will derive from the 1400 year old monastic tradition of brewing in Europe. As always, all new beers will be Real Beer from Real MonksTM
Our focus in all our work is "to bring everything to perfection for the glory of God" as the Rule of Saint Benedict instructs us.
• The administrative offices of Abbey Beverage Company are located at 215 W. Alicante Rd, Santa Fe, NM 87505-4603 and postal address of P.O. Box 32124, Santa Fe, NM 87594-2124.
The brewery is located on the grounds of the Monastery at 1305 Forest Service Rd. #151, Abiquiu, NM 87510-0270.
The administrative offices of Abbey Beverage Company can be reached by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org , by phone at 505-670-6802, or by fax at 505-629-1566.